Honors and Activities
Honors, Awards, Grants and Recognition
- Student Project, Loud Austin by Becky Larson, finalist in Online Journalism Awards, 2015.
- Presidential Distinction Award, Scholarly/Creative Activities Award, Senior Faculty, 2015
- Online News Association Challenge Fund Grant, Maker Culture in J-School, $35,000 for curriculum projects with University of Nebraska and University of Southern California, 2015.
- Online News Association Challenge Fund Grant, TexasMusicViz, $35,000 for curriculum projects, 2014.
- SJMC Nominee, Scholarly/Creative Activities Award, Senior Faculty, 2014.
- Charles E. Scripps Journalism and Mass Communication Teacher of the Year, AEJMC and Scripps Howard Foundation, 2013.
- Texas State Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Senior Faculty, 2013. Highest award for teaching at the university.
- John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship at Stanford, 2013-2014. First academic to be accepted to the program.
- Participant on grant, Bienestar Coalition: A Community Partnership, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, National Institutes of Health, Co-Principal Investigator for Social Media, $690,000, 2013-2014
- Finalist, AEJMC/Scripps Howard Teacher of the Year, 2011/2012
- Texas State Quarterly Team Award, for participation on 2012-2013 Common Experience Team
- AEJMC/Knight Foundation Bridge Grants, 2011 & 2012 - $8,000 for course development in conjunction with a Knight News Challenge Winner
- SPJ Region 8 Mark of Excellence, 2nd Place in Online, In-Depth Reporting for Large Schools, 2012, TXStateOfChange.com
- Keynote Speaker, Journalism Education and Research Association of Australia, Sydney, Nov. 2014.
- Great Ideas for Teachers, Look at Me, I’m Coding, AEJMC 2013
- Presidential Distinction Award, Teaching, Senior Faculty, 2012.
- Named to "Top 50 Social Media Savvy Professors in America," OnlineColleges.net, September 2011.
- Friends of Fine Arts Award, Teaching, Junior Faculty,
- Texas Social Media Award Winner, Austin American-Statesman, 2010 - Video Accompanying Nomination
- Scholarly/Creative Activities, SJMC Nominee, Junior Faculty, 2010
- Presidential Distinction Award, Teaching, Junior Faculty, 2010
- Texas State University Research Enhancement Grant, Summer 2010
- AEJMC Best of the Web, 2nd Place (SXTXState.com) in Journalism category for student project, 2009
- Scholarly/Creative Activities Award, SJMC Nominee, Junior Faculty, 2009
- Presidential Distinction Award, Teaching, Junior Faculty, 2009
- AEJMC Promising Professor Competition, Faculty 2nd Place, 2008
- AEJMC Best of the Web, supervised student project winners:
- Presidential Award of Distinction, Teaching Award, Junior Faculty, 2008
- SJMC Nominee, Scholarly/Creative Activities Award, Junior Faculty,
- Texas State University Research Enhancement Grant, A Nation of Friends: Diffusion
of Online Social Networking , Summer 2008
- Texas State University Research Enhancement Grant, User-Created Content:
How Social Networking Translates to Social Capital, Summer 2007
- AEJMC Promising Professor Competition, Graduate Student 2nd Place, 2004
- Bruton Fellowship, 2004-2005
- The University of Texas Continuing Fellowship, 2003-2004
Best of the Web Design Competition, Honorable Mention for Teaching
- Nettie Doscher More Fellowship, 2002
- Ada Francis Miller Fellowship, 2000 and 2002
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award- School of Journalism, 2001
- The University of Texas Preemptive Fellowship, 1999-2000
- The University of Texas Continuing Tuition Fellowship, 2001-2002
Invited Talks and Other Activities
- Founder, Media Innovation Lab, 2016
- Coordinator, Digital Media Innovation sequence
- AEJMC Strategic Planning Committee, 2016
- Panel, Cracking the Code: Tips for Teaching Coding to Journalism Students, AEJMC 2016
- Panel, Teaching Sensor Journalism: Opportunities, Challenges, What’s Next, AEJMC 2016
- Panel, Inclusivity and Teaching Tech, AEJMC 2016
- Panel, Big Data in the Media Industries, AEJMC 2016
- Panel, Insights on Tap: Education’s Role in Today’s Digital World, sponsored by Social Distillery, Aug. 16, 2015
- Panel, Open Data at the City of Austin, Aug. 17, 2015
- Invited Talk, News As User Experience, Health and Human Services, Austin, Aug. 17, 2015
- Panel, Innovative Methods for Student Engagement, AEJMC 2015
- Panel, Top Ten Tips for Preparing Students for Jobs That Don't Exist Yet, AEJMC 2015
- Developed new Digital Media Innovation undergraduate major, 2014. Expected start 2016
- Co-Founder, Hacks/Hackers Austin chapter, 2010-present.
- Coding for Journalists, Journalism and Women Symposium, Palm Springs, CA, Oct. 2014.
- Using Agile Methodologies in Education, Online News Association, Chicago, Sept. 2014.
- Introduction to Spreadsheets, Data Visualization Workshop, Institute for Justice and Journalism, Feb. 2014
- Coding for Journalists Training, JS Knight Fellowship, Stanford, Feb. 2014
- Guest lecture, Web Design, University of California – Santa Cruz, Nov. 2013
- Digital Media Careers, presentation to high school students at Texas State, June 2015
- Taking Control of Social Media for Your Career, Texas State Brown Bag, April 2015
- Impact Factor: Alternatives to Traditional Scholarly Publication, March 2015
- For Media, It’s Platform or Perish, SXSW Interactive, March 2015
- Coding Across the Curriculum, SXSWEDU, March 2015
- Panel, I'm Into Jobs That Don't Exist Yet, SXSW 2013. With Aron Pilhofer of The New York Times.
- Presentation, I'm Into Jobs That Don't Exist Yet, SXSWEDU 2013.
- Panel, Breeding the Unicorn: The Journalist/Designer/Coder, Journalism Interactive, Gainesville, Fl, 2013.
- Panel, Data: What Journalists and Academics Can Learn From One Another, Journalism Interactive, Gainesville, Fl, 2013.
- Panel, Introduction to Programming, Journalism Interactive, Gainesville, Fl, 2013.
- Introduction to Programming, Hacks/Hackers Austin, December 2012.
- Panel, Leading Innovation: Women at the Forefront of Development in Media Organizations, AEJMC, Chicago, 2012.
- Panel, Is Social Media Replacing Traditional Journalism?, Social Media Club, August 2012.
- Panel, Leading Innovation: Women at the Forefront of Development in Media Organizations, AEJMC, August 2012.
- Presentation, Innovation in Journalism Curriculum at TXST - TXStateOfChange.com, May 2012.
- Panel, @you: Making Social Media Work for You and Your Business, Austin Women's Conference, Nov. 2011
- Teach-a-thon, Storify It, Journalism Interactive, University of Maryland, Oct. 2011
- Director, Mass Communication Week, Texas State University, 2011- present; Social media lead, 2007-2010, txstatemcweek.com
- Selected speaker, If I Were In Charge panel, Seven Things Everyone Should Know, Online News Association, Boston, Sept. 2011
- Panel, Social Media in the Classroom, AEJMC National Convention, St. Louis, Aug. 2011
- Panel, Social Media for Magazines, AEJMC National Convention, St. Louis, Aug. 2011
- Panel, SXSW, Rockin' the Checkin: Location Strategies for Musicians, March 2011.
- Panel, SXSW, Influence and Innovate, Transforming Media Education, March 2010.
- Panel, SXSW, Gaming as a Gateway Drug: Introducing Girls to Technology, March 2009.
- Texas State Mass Comm Week blog and coverage Fall 2008 & 2009 – txstatemcweek.com
- Guest Speaker, Social Media Techniques, Marquette University, October 2009
- Guest Speaker, Social Media and Trends in Multimedia, Indiana University, April 2009
- Guest Speaker, Trends in New Media, ASNE Reynolds High School Journalism Institute, 2008 & 2009
- AEJMC Panel, Online and Offline Social Networking: Contexts and Applications in the Academy,Chicago, IL, August 6, 2008
- AEJMC Panel, Lifting Our Lamp: Educating Minority, Immigrant and Disadvantaged Students,Chicago, IL, August 8, 2008
- Presentation Trends in Interactive Advertising, American
Advertising Federation, Jan. 25, 2008
- Presentation Trends in Multimedia, to Society of Professional
Journalists, Nov. 29, 2007
- Presentation Creating a Photo Slideshow in Flash, Teaching
and Working in a Multimedia World, AEJMC National Convention Workshop, August
- Hosted panel The YouTube Effect: User-Generated Content and Viral Marketing,
AEJMC National Convention, Washington, D.C., August 10, 2007
- Presentation at National Writer's Workshop panel, Stories Degree Zero:
Enacting Journalism in a Multimedia Environment, San Antonio, TX, May 19,
- Presentation Social Media, Round Rock campus, March 6, 2007
- Presentation to Bobcat Promotions, Introduction to Web Design, April
- Guest lecturer, Advertising Campaigns class, Interactive Media in Advertising,
TSU, April 3, 2007.
- Co-director, Best of the Web competition, AEJMC Communication Technology
- Texas State University, School of Journalism and Mass Communication, ad
hoc Ph.D committee
- Texas State University, School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Library
and Technology committees
- VCU Interdisciplinary Ph.D in Media, Art, and Text committee
- VCU School of Mass Communications Technology, Internship, and Curriculum
- VCU Search Committee for joint appointment position in History and Media
Studies to support Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program
- Guest Lecturer, Communication Technology and Global Society, November 15,
- Webmaster, VCU School of Mass Communications, 2005-2006
- Reviewer, Web Wizard's Guide to Photoshop, Addison-Wesley, 2004
- Guest Lecturer, Writing and Editing for Print and Online Publishing, May
- Guest Lecturer, News Media Writing and Editing, Convergence, April
- Guest Lecturer, Women and News course, Women and the Web, April
- Taught Going Online at Interscholastic League Press Conference,
April 17, 2004
- ASNE High School Journalism Institute, Web Design Presentation, Summer
- Taught Macromedia Flash courses at National Press Photographers Association
Conference, February 2001
- Taught Macromedia Flash course at Southwest Texas State University, April
- Organized Symposium
in Online Journalism, Spring 2001
- Kappa Tau Alpha Inductee, national honor society in Journalism and Mass
Communication, Spring 2000